Ternopil – the city situated on the Seret River in the western part of Ukraine. Almost 220 000 inhabitants live here. The first mention of the city dates back to 1540 when Zigismund I. The Old gave the town privileges to the Krakow castellan, the great crown governor Jan Tarnowski. Historians argue that the name of Ternopil is derived from the name of Tarnowski.
Komsomolsky pond with an area of 300 hectares is to be found in the town. The pond was also built in the 16th century.
The Church of the Resurrection from the 18th century and the chateau from 16th century, rebuilt in the 19th century, are among the preserved sights of interest.
We have been working with Caritas Ternopil since 2008. We have made an investment in heating of the building where Caritas provides care for elderly people and operates a social dining room, health center and leisure activities. For example, we have supported the Fruit Juice Factory project or project called Art Club which focuses on therapeutic activities with children from socially disadvantaged families.
Ternopil Caritas has an auxiliary farm where it grows vegetables and fruits. In September 2008, the Caritas of the Archdiocese of Olomouc helped Ternopil to buy a fruit juice factory. Since 2009, they have been producing natural fruit and vegetable juices for the charity canteen and other social projects. Up to 1 000 liters of juice from apples, pears, pumpkins, carrots and beetroot are supplied to the dining room where the people in need provided of assistance and services by Caritas Ternopil eat. Local people can also process their fruits and vegetables in the fruit juice factory. Their money helps to pay the costs of running the factory and also supports other projects of Caritas Ternopil.
- Financial support for the construction of a food store for the needs of a charity canteen. Building a food store has increased the availability of product stocks throughout the year for the needs of a charity canteen (people in difficult living conditions). The new warehouse will be open all year round and will provide the opportunity to implement a social project, specifically cooking courses.
- Contribution to repairing heating in places where social projects are taking place.
- PR material production: T-shirts, mugs, magnets with the Caritas Ternopil logo.
- “Art Club” project focused on fundraising and therapeutic activities with children from socially disadvantaged families.
- Support for a children’s home in Ternopil including the opening of the garden where crops are grown for the home.
- Three computers to teach Information Technology and for administrative use. Also disposable baby diapers, clothing…